Compassion starts with oneself

The dimly lit room in Spa Riviera is a welcome respite from the noise of the "outside world". The smell of peppermint and the sound of Balinese music softly playing in the background signaled me to leave my cares behind and just focus on the now.

A young woman helped me settle on the big and comfortable reclining massage chair where I was about to have a facial. She quietly went out, leaving me to catch my breath. Remembering my life coach's advice, with every breath in I visualized good health and relaxation while in every breath out, I visualized the release of stress from my body. 

While doing this, abdominal breathing is recommended. Shallow breathing happens when the chest goes up while inhaling and then goes down while exhaling. In abdominal breathing (also deep breathing), the lower belly rises when inhaling and contracts when exhaling.



A few minutes later, the therapist reappeared while carrying a batik-covered tray with small wooden bowls that contain ground rice, soya milk, yogurt, water, and sponge. She draped a towel over my legs and tucked a cloth under my chin.

Then she scrubbed my face with ground rice, a natural exfoliant that removes unwanted oil and dead skin. It is also an anti-inflammatory and skin whitening agent.

After that, she placed vitamin E-rich soya milk that served as the mask. It was meant to remove whiteheads and blackheads. At Spa Riviera, they do not prick the skin. They care for the skin in the most natural way.

The therapist again left the room to let the mask stay for 30 minutes.



I promised myself to tame my mind during this 30-minute alone time. It can be challenging because, during menopause, the mind can go on autopilot mode and become wild. Thankfully, we have an innate intentional system that we can tap in order to change the course of our thoughts. One technique is to focus on the breath.

Thirty minutes later, the therapist came and gently removed the mask. She then applied yogurt. Probiotics like yogurt are anti-inflammatory agents that can treat skin conditions such as eczema and acne.

Throughout the service (except when the mask is in place), she massaged my face in an upward manner. The face needs a good deal of massage to keep the blood and oxygen flowing properly for that youthful look. The facial skin also absorbs the above-mentioned applied products better because of massage. It also feels relaxing.



After an hour’s facial, the therapist led me to their tea parlor where a hot cup of tea awaits. With every sip, I whispered gratitude, affirmations for self and sent out intentions of success for this place and its people that have truly made a difference in the lives of many for close to two decades now. Massaging people and relieving their body stress for several hours a day for 7 days a week is not entirely a relaxing experience for the therapists. So, I am truly grateful to the Spa Riviera team headed by their CEO, Anna Marie Rivera-Wharton (who, by the way, started this business by being a therapist herself, doing house calls).



Spa Riviera's services are Gayuma Pampapukaw, Turista Massage, Kalipay Foot Massage, Ageloc, Foot Scrub, Body Massage (Swedish, Shiatsu or Combination), Kaaya-aya Facial and Pampaputi Body Scrub.

They also have Gayuma Packages such as Gayuma Plus Facial, Gayuma Plus Body Scrub, Gayuma Plus Hotstone Foot and Gayuma Experience.

Everyone deserves a 'me' time and what better way to do it is to go to Spa Riviera. After all, the practice of compassion starts with oneself./

Spa Riviera

Popular Posts